Friday, April 11, 2014

That Great Bakery in the Sky

11

What I'm Wearing:
Blouse: Worthington (JCPenney)  |  Cardigan: Anne Taylor Loft 
Jeans: House of Derreon (Macy's)    |  Boots: Bare Traps (DSW)

2233
44
Photo bombed by my cat Abby.  Oh, the life of a crazy cat lady.

Yes.  Those are CATS on my cardigan.  In my opinion, any outfit is instantly elevated by the appearance of little cat silhouettes:

55

Yesterday I helped an older gentleman say goodbye to his pet cat of 15 years.  The old tom used to come around the man's bakery looking for handouts, until one day the baker took pity on the cat in the frigid winter temperatures and brought him inside.  The rest, as they say, is history: the yellow tom had no interest in ever going back outside.  

As together we said goodbye to the old tom cat, still purring even though his poor little body was racked with disease, the old baker tearfully said to me, with a smile, "Don't worry, doc.  Animals have souls just like ours. I'm really not sad, because I'll see him again one day.  Only not like this! He's gonna be healthy again, doc! Not like this...not like this." And the old tom passed away peacefully, purring all the while.

People say to me all the time that the worst part of my job must be euthanizing animals.  I can honestly say that, in most cases, it is not.  "Euthanasia" literally means "good death", and being able to bestow a peaceful passing upon a suffering animal is often the greatest gift I can give my furry patients.  Like the old baker, I  believe there's more to come after we pass away - more for humans as well as for animals.  And that, my friends, is an encouraging thought.

So goodbye, old tom.  May you find some peace in that great big bakery in the sky.  And if it's not too much trouble, save me a doughnut.

2 comments:

  1. Cute cardigan.
    Visiting from Favorite Fashion Friday!

    xo, tasha
    twenty-something blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such a nice way to look at euthanisia - I give you a lot of credit to be able to do that day in and day out, but you are right, it is a peaceful way to go and often times by the time our furry friends are to that point, they truly deserve a peaceful end.

    In happier news, your cardigan is ADORABLE. I love birds!

    ReplyDelete