Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Kind of a big deal

Today was kind of a huge deal.

At my University, they keep us poor incompetent vet students away from live animals for the first two years of our schooling.  During these years, we basically lived in lecture halls and libraries, studying and striving to learn as much information as possible for the day when we would finally get to work on live animals.  After awhile, I really didn't think the day would ever come when I would get to work on an actual patient.

Well today was that day...our VERY FIRST surgery day!

We were split up into groups of three and each assigned a dog to either castrate (if it was a boy) or spay (if it was a girl).  Each member of the the team was assigned as either the primary surgeon, assistant surgeon, or anesthetist..but we had no idea which role we would be assigned until today!  Our dog was a boy, and I was assigned as anesthetist for the day.  I was actually dreading the role of anesthetist because I am really paranoid about anesthesia...there is just so much that can go wrong!  It was my responsibility to place our dog under general anesthesia, monitor him throughout the surgery, and then wake ("recover") him when the procedure was finished.   I was SO scared that he wouldn't wake up, but he popped right back up after we were all done!  I was so relieved I could have cried...

Our dog was the sweetest, most adorable Rottweiler mixed named "Stocker", and I have totally fallen head over heels for him!  He's from the shelter and is up for adoption, and I would absolutely love to bring him home with me for good.  Alas, I already have two cats and I'm not sure how Stocker would do with a couple of felines.   I am determined to find him a good home nonetheless... there's no way the little sweetie deserves to go back to the shelter!

1nov8

I love this top and cardigan, but am unhappy with the fit of these jeans. New "skinny jeans" are definitely on my list of need-to-buys!

2nov8
3nov8
4nov8
5nov8

What I'm Wearing:
Blue bow shirt - Little yellow button, thrifted
Cardigan - Vintage, thrifted
Jeans - Tommy Hilfiger "skinny jeans", thrifted
Braided belt - Chiang Mai, Thailand Walking Street Market
Black flats - thrifted

No comments:

Post a Comment